Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 2

I managed to keep myself up until 11:30 last night, so I had no problem sleeping through the shifted time night. I did end up waking at 5:00 since Lynne was not able to sleep. We got ready and headed down to breakfast in the hotel. It was quite delish. I had a basic omlette, though, not really wanting to risk my body adjusting to a shifted food intake before meeting Alice. I hope to make it through the trip without using the precautionary prescribed travelers revenge meds.

We geared up to go to the Great Wall. On the way, we had our bus driver go by the Olympic Bird's Nest. It's HUGE. The smog is so bad though, it's tough to see in generaly, much less in the pictures. We then stopped at a Jade factory. I swore I would resist, but geez, they're good. When you walk in, they seem to take you on like a one-on-one basketball game. Ms Robinson would have been proud. There is no shaking the one that "has you" and somehow they lull you into some sort of hypnotic state. Next thing I knew, Alice had a beautiful little pendant sold to me by this adorably persistent sales woman.

Next up, the Great Wall. Our guide has been fantastic about delivering bits of history, local culture including teaching us Chinese lullabys. As the bus moves alone, the city scene starts to change to green mountains on either side. We pull into the parking lot, and the wall moves up this steeeeeep ridge. I run often and my legs were shaking by the end. It's tough to look up because the steps are at different heights all the way up. Each section ends with a tower of sorts, which some folks must mistake for a urinal. Most of the walk was a fantastic breeze with the smell of these small white flowers, but every tower was motivation to keep on going up. We got pretty far and the workout was better than a treadmill. We turned back down and absorbed gorgeous views while trying to comprehend that I'm standing on the Great Wall of China.

Off to lunch which was ok, but a more commercial type of place and food catering to tourists. We're all starting to gel as a group, now, too, and it'll be fun to see our little herd of toddlers starting Monday.

Next up, the Summer Palace. Again, HUGE. This was packed to the gills with humans. I feel surprisingly ok with all the crowds. While pushing seems to be acceptable, I don't find it's with malice ever. The sales folks there, though, are not as adorable as our one-on-one jade people. The palace was so gorgeous down to the lavish details. Our guide gave us more wonderful history lessons as we walked the grounds. We got to our little dragon-shaped boat ride that went across the man-made lake. There was a gigantic marble boat, which every person needs. I'm getting one for our yard.

Next, more adorable sales people at a pearl factory. See above paragraph, but switch out "jade" for "pearls". Braced to resist, I could not. I hang my head in shame, but with a really pretty pearl necklace dangling as I do so.

Our guide then wanted to take us to her favorite local restaurant. While not as clean/fancy as the other places (ask Donna), the food there was the best so far. Oh my - yummy peanut/chicken dish with a kick, noodles, shaved potatoes in a string type form, snow peas, a beef dish, so much food it would make my Mom proud. No one left hungry.

Back to the bus to final go "home". We have to have our bags packed and outside our door. We'll check out and go to the Forbidden City before getting on a plane to head to Nanning.

I'll add that I love this country. I will be so proud to tell her stories of falling in love with China. I'll also add how grateful I am to Skype. It's making it easier to not be near my boys. Seth's been a trooper and he's being a great big brother waiting for his little sis.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful details Gina! I love following along with all of you... It sounds like you're having an amazing time - so happy for you. K~ (Donna's sis) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all just looked at the pics!!!! Holy Cow - You're in China- right NOW! So excited for you guys. Keep the pictures and updates coming. Stay safe.
    -Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious girlie. "Next, more adorable sales people at a pearl factory. See above paragraph, but switch out "jade" for "pearls". Braced to resist, I could not. I hang my head in shame, but with a really pretty pearl necklace dangling as I do so." Too funny. Can't wait to see Alice pics!

    _Kbdelarosa

    ReplyDelete